The first document that speaks of travertine of Rapolano is from 1597 and refers to material from the quarry called “walnut”, which still stands on the grounds of belonging in our society, used for the facade of the church of Provenzano in Siena. In 1921 he founded a cooperative made up of 100 “stone-cutters”, highly skilled sculptors of decorative architectural elements and monumental. Along with the “miners”, specialists in extracting stone with elementary means like the pickaxe and wedges, are proud artisans, learning the craft after years of hard apprenticeship. The name is inspired by the Querciolaie woods where there are quarries. Those are the Fascist years in which we build a lot, and architecture inspired by the monuments of the Roman Empire often made of travertine, brings with it a strong demand. New techniques and technologies for quarrying, and especially sawing stone slabs for cladding, means that this demand can be met. They are good years, which exports throughout Europe and provides for many prestigious projects both abroad and in Italy. Founded in 1945 is another cooperative, La Rinascente, whose name is inspired by the spirit of war. It is, like the Querciolaie, owns quarries and workshops in Serre di Rapolano. After the difficult period of the war, the economic boom of the 50s and 60s, in which Italy changes from being an agricultural country to an industrial one, leads to the explosion of modern construction: stairs, thresholds and sills are often travertine, honed or polished. In the 80’s customers come from Arab countries, where the demand is mainly for light materials, and to satisfy it in 1982. The Querciolaie buy a quarry in Guidonia, in the historic mining district near Rome, where the travertine is more suitable for this clientele . In 1992 the two cooperatives merge, taking the name of Querciolaie Rinascente, and joining their respective human and material resources, forming what is now one of the most important and prestigious in the industry.